7 Best Drinks for Sleep
The Best Beverages To Drink For Amazing Sleep Every Time
By: Robert Eilers | NightOwl.FIT Community | August 28th 2017
This week I wanted to cover some of the best drinks for sleep.
After a long hard night at work, it is sometimes the hardest thing in the world to shut off your mind. I know coming home after my shift the first thing I want to do is ramble on endlessly to my spouse about how my night was. Though this conversation is usually one sided as I am generally talking to a zombie the first thing in the morning. The struggle with working alternating shifts as I am always awake when she is tired, and I am always tired when she is awake. Though in truth, as most people that work this shift should know, we generally operate in a constant state of tired and more tired. Yet many of us still find it difficult to shut down and actually fall asleep. A long time ago I took all the traditional life modifications that would aid for better sleep, and have written about them here already, black out curtains, noise plugs, even sleep regulation with blue light therapy. But at some point with all the sleep hacks I have in place I still can’t manage to drift off to sleep, or better still, stay asleep. This is the point where most people usually turn to sleep aids to help. But being that I always try to turn to natural approaches before hormone bombs that most prescription aids are I decided to use a more natural sleep aid. So here are some of the best drinks for sleep that I have found work over the years. And a few that research shows will work that I have yet to try.
- Tart Cherry Juice: Researchers from Louisiana State University found that drinking Montmorency tart cherry juice twice a day for two weeks helped increase sleep time by nearly 90 minutes among older adults with insomnia. Tart cherries are a natural source of melatonin, a hormone that helps regulate the sleep-wake cycle.
- The brand I personally use is Country Spoon Montmorency Red Tart
- Chamomile tea: This herbal tea has a fruit-like flavor similar to apple and besides being delicious, has a number of valuable therapeutic properties. Chamomile is widely regarded as a mild tranquilizer and sleep-inducer. Sedative effects may be due to the flavonoid, apigenin.
- I personally love the Twining teas and have used them for years, I will sometimes use Earl Grey in replace of coffee but the Chamomile tea is great right before bed.
- A glass of Milk: Milk contains tryptophan (the amino acid is best known for being in turkey), which when released into the brain produces serotonin—a serenity-boosting neurotransmitter.
- Almond Milk: It has calcium, which helps the brain produce melatonin, as well as magnesium, which is important for sleep regulation. If you don’t like almond milk, try taking a magnesium supplement.
- Cardamom milk – an ancient Ayurvedic remedy to promote tranquility.
- Reishi Mushrooms: For over 2000 years Reishi mushrooms have been recognized by Chinese medical professionals as a valuable remedy. Its Chinese name Lingzhi means “spiritual potency”. Reishi mushrooms are regarded by the Chinese as the “Medicine of Kings also called as “mushroom of immortality” and has been used as a tonic and strengthening medicine for thousands of years. Uses in traditional healing include increasing intellectual capacity and memory; promoting agility and lengthening the life span. These active extracts and fractions are useful for inhibiting tumor growth, modulating the immune response and increasing hematopoietic activity and so on. This paper reviews the significance of Reishi mushroom and its medicinal properties. I personally use Four Sigmatic not only for their coffee but their Organic Mushroom Elixir Mix before bed tops most. And Night Owl Readers can save 10% on Foursigmatic coffees by using promo code nightowl.
- Kava Tea– This is a slightly newer one to me but it has been shown to be stronger and more powerful than Chamomile.Definitely something worth looking into. kava has an active compound, called yangonin. This chemical is likely the one that makes some people compare it to marijuana since it affects the same brain receptors as THC — the chemical responsible for marijuana’s psychological effects.
Four Sigmatic also make a hot cocoa that contains Reishi Mushrooms that I just recently started trying which I have seen some difference in the quality of my sleep. I have always loved Four Sigmatic products and not only use their Reishi Mushroom but their coffee’s as well.
These are some of the best drinks for sleep that I have found. I have used everything but cardamom milk to improve my sleep and above all, I have found that Chamomile and Reishi have always been the best drinks for sleep for me. But everyone’s body is unique and what works best for me may not work best for you. Have your own drink recipes you find works, we would love to hear from you leave a comment below or drop us a line.
Disclosure: This content uses referral links. I will only recommend products I currently use and trust. Read our disclosure policy for more info.